Friday, November 4, 2011

Death: a part of Life

My great Aunt passed away last week; the funeral was this week.  I was not very close to Aunt Isabelle at all.  But because she was my Grandpa's sister, it made me think about Grandpa.  He died two years ago, in January, just a little over three months after my Aunt died, who I was very close to.  I don't understand death.
I work at a nursing home, in the kitchen, so I don't get to know the residents like the nurses do.  But I still get sad when I clock in and find out we have one less mouth to feed.  What makes the heart stop beating?  I can understand if a person has cancer, like my Grandpa.  But what about Aunt Isabelle?  Yes she was 91 years old, but she didn't have cancer. What caused her heart to stop beating?  Mom always says that death is a part of life.  But I still don't understand it.

I have gone to funerals ever since I can remember.  I have been to more funerals than weddings.  I've been to more weddings than baby showers.  In my mind that says the worlds population is dying off faster than they can get married and have children.  (This could be a real problem, you know.)
But then maybe I understand why some people are not getting married.  I felt such loss after my Aunt died of Cystic Fibrosis, and left behind a devoted and loving husband and three daughters.  And I still see the emptiness my Grandma feels, after a husband of over 50 years is no longer with her. 

Why spend so much time getting to know someone and then they die?  I thought after my Aunt died.  Why put someone through so much hurt and pain?  I really struggled with thoughts like that after my loved ones passed on.  But over the years, I've realized that it's easier to go through life building relationships, instead of avoiding then.  Why did God create Eve if He thought Adam was fine by himself?  "The LORD God said, 'It is not good for the man to be alone.  I will make a helper suitable for him.' " Genesis 2: 18  And then there is the advice of Solomon: "Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work; If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!" Ecclesiastes 4:9-10  Solomon also says: "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." Proverbs 27:17  Yes, it is better to have friendships, than to walk the road of life alone.  And yes, death is a part of life.  But God is there, in the happy times and the sad times; there are lessons to be learned in both.

There was a poem in Aunt Isabelle's remembrance card and I really like it:

Miss Me - But Let Me Go
When I come to the end of the road and the sun has set for me,
I want no rites in a gloom-filled room.
 Why cry for a soul set free? 
Miss me a little - but not too long
And not with your head bowed low.
Remember the love that we once shared.
Miss me - but let me go.
For this is a journey that we all must take, and each must go alone.
It's all a part of the Master's plan, a step on the road to home.
When you are lonely and sick of heart, go to the friends that we know.
And bury your sorrows in doing good deeds.
Miss me - but let me go.

No comments:

Post a Comment