Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Music for my Life

One time my (then) 15 year old cousin mentioned the following question, while we were playing a round of Bible Trivia:

"Wouldn't it be neat if there was background music for our lives?"  

I have thought of Rebecca's rhetorical question over the past few months.  If there were background music for my life - the happy times, the hardships, the questioning times, the quiet times, the waiting times, the exciting times, the funny times - there would be quite (may I repeat: quite) a variety!
There would be Classical (full orchestra and piano, very little Strauss please!), Celtic, hymns, Nickel Creek, Ohio State marching band, The Kings Brass, Appalachian Bible College choral, northern and southern songs from the Civil War, some songs from the 1940's - 1970's,  patriotic marches, the Boston Pops orchestra, the theme song from The Walton's, and soundtracks from Gods and Generals, Fiddler on the Roof,  Pride and Prejudice, Little Woman (by Thomas Newman), Anne of Green Gables: The Continuing Story,  Man from Snowy River,  Return to Snowy River, The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe and Prince Caspian, and Ladies in Lavender (one of my all time favorite soundtracks!).

With Thanksgiving right around the corner, I hope you all have a blessed day!  There is SO much to be thankful for!  This year will be a bit different for my family; my sister, her husband and 18 month old daughter moved to Panama (the country) last week.  Because they will be gone for three - six months, we had our Thanksgiving meal last Sunday.  I am glad we had it last Sunday because I have to work on Thanksgiving day at the nursing home, in the kitchen.  Mom, dad and I talked it over and decided that mom will eat with her mom (she's in an assisted living) and dad will come and eat with me (when I'm done serving the residents).  It will not be a 'traditional' Thanksgiving for us, but that's OK.  It is good to move out of 'tradition' every now and then and be different.  (Insert song "Tradition" from Fiddler on the Roof: " . . . how did this tradition get started? I will tell you:  I don't know.")
 

I am thankful that I live where I can see the sun set and the moon rise. (Insert hymn This Is my Father's World and For the Beauty of The Earth) I'm thankful there is color in the world.  I'm thankful for my parents, my sister and her lovely little family.  I'm thankful I can hear.  I'm thankful for music.  I am thankful for the hard times in my life that make me grow. (Insert hymn Day by Day and It Is Well) I am thankful I grew up and live on a farm. (Insert Flight of The Bubble Bees) I'm thankful I can feel things; like my niece's little hand in mine when we pray. 


I am thankful that I am saved by a King who loves me so much, He died and rose again for me.  I'm thankful that He loves me too much to leave me alone.  I am thankful He had promised to meet all my needs, according to His riches in Christ Jesus (Phil. 4:19)  I am thankful that He has a plan for my life.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
(Insert hymn Count Your Many Blessings and Come Ye Thankful People)

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I couldn't have ever come up with such a great way of putting life! Thank YOU for sharing Tiff...I have a lot to think about, and be thankful for as well. We miss you dearie!

    ReplyDelete