Monday, December 12, 2011

Pearl Harbor

Mom, dad and I watched the film Pearl Harbor last night.  Wow!  What. A. Movie!  I enjoyed the first part.  The scene where Rafe gets hit in the nose with the wine cork struck my funny bone and sent me into a snickering fit for a minute or two.  Even now, to think back on it brings a smile and giggle.  Poor guy.  I'm sure it really hurt.

My sister said she had a hard time watching the part where Danny and Rafe are trying to help get the trapped sailors out of the ship, especially when they are holding hands and the water starts to bubble up.  I sat there, almost spellbound by that scene.  I don't know what it is about it that captivates me . . .




I did not like all the battle scenes, nor the shots filmed under water or from in the planes.  They were so . . . real(?) . . . I was afraid I would get motion sickness.  I could not breath too well with all the underwater shots; I severely dislike large areas of water that is deeper then my knees. 

 I was able to watch the battle scenes without crying.  But at the end when it showed Danny's little son with the flowers, a tear or two escaped.   It reminded me of my little niece, Natasha.  I wonder how tall she is now.  I miss her sweet little hugs.  And her laugh.  And the way she points at anything and everything as she says "Da?" 

 Due to watching Pearl Harbor I am full of questions, regarding war.  I have dug out some of the history books mom kept, in hopes of finding answers.  I asked dad about the war when he got home from work today.
"Why didn't Grandpa get drafted?"  "He was going to be, but somehow they [the government] found out that I was on the way, and he didn't have to go." Dad answered.
Grandpa had four brothers, so I started asking about them. "What about Uncle Russel?".  "He had heart problems, so he couldn't go."
"Uncle Dick was in the navy; was he drafted?"
"Yah, he was drafted.  The ship he was on came this close [help up hands less then a foot apart] from hitting a mine and getting "poof" . . . blown up."  That was a new piece of news to me! 

 I admire the men who went through that horrible day.  I am thankful for their sacrifice, both then and now.  They do so much to protect us and keep us free . . . seems like we don't do enough to pay them back.

P.S. Aren't the actors handsome?

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to make a correction:
    I thought my grandpa was not drafted because he was going to be a father, but that was during the Korean war. He was unmarried and still in high school when WW2 was taking place.

    ReplyDelete