Wednesday, December 28, 2011

"Chop Ice?!"

I like white Christmas'.  I like to see the snow cover everything; it creates a new world outside.  Winter started on December 22.  Winter is to be cold outside (cold meaning below 32 degrees).  Winter means having to chop ice for the animals and mornings that are so cold they take your breath away.


I remember a conversation I had with a friend at college while eating one time.  "Wait, wait, wait! What do you mean 'chop ice'?" He questioned.  "Uh . . . The water for the animals freezes and we have to chop it, then shovel it out and give them fresh water  [He's looking at me with that blank look when someone has absolutely no idea what you're talking about]. But sometimes the water hydrant is frozen, so you have to get hot water and pour on it before you can get the water to come out [I think that's where I really lost him]." I tired to explain this to Jordan slowly, thinking he would have a 'light bulb' moment and realize what I was talking about.  But he just sat there and gave me a blank look.  The rest of the conversation went something like this: "I take it you've never had an animal outside during the winter . . ." I said slowly.  "No. No, I haven't. My dog is an inside dog."  He's still looking at me, a bit dumbfoundedly. (Is that a word?  I think I just made it one.)  "That's so fascinating! I never knew people had to do that!" Jordan finally exclaimed, when he 'came to'.

I don't have any recent pictures of snow and cold weather, so here are a few pictures of past winters.

My dear sister, Janel.

Yes, we were ice skating in the pasture.
Trash bag sledding in WV with college friends.  Good times!
I hope you all had a wonderful little Christmas, like I had.  It was different without Janel and her sweet, little family.  Plus we didn't have any snow; on the contrary, it was in the 40's outside.  It looks like the new year will be ushered in with warm weather also.  
A hill I loved to look at while attending college.
May you all have a blessed new year, full of learning new things and good times, as we are given one day at a time to bring glory to our Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment