Sunday, May 12, 2013

Ordinary Days, Under active thyroid and God's Grace

Well, the bearing is in the baler (still don't know what a bearing is or does), and I've been to Point Park on Look Out Mountain, walked through Fat Man squeeze at Rock City, saw seven different states from one location, went to a real rodeo that had real cowboys with belt buckles the size of Connecticut (as apposed to the 'want'a be' cowboys at the county fair), marveled at the architecture of the full size replica Parthenon, attended a wonderful vocal concert which my uncle sang, walked around in a train station converted into hotel, visited Lincoln's birthplace and boy-hood home, played music with Aunt Rita at church, made a rhubarb pie, made butter, visited my cousins, started reading Kisses from Katie (wonderful book!), and took the Myers Briggs personality test (I'm an ISFJ).

Point Park, TN
Point Park, TN
Dad and his new friend at Rock City
So glad there wasn't an earthquake when we walked through here! 
As the month of May tick tocks by, I am getting ready to return to the south for the summer to volunteer at a Christian camp.  In addition to making sure I have enough clothes to make it through one week at a time, I've also been trying to get my thyroid levels up in the middle half of "normal" range, and my adrenal glands to not get stressed out over stress.
My thyroid has been under active for seven years and I've been to seven different doctor's who've put me on different supplements and prescriptions and was told "This will make you feel like a new person; you'll have energy, you'll loose weight, you won't be tired, and you won't have cold hands."  If all those pills had worked, I wouldn't be sitting here writing about trying to get my thyroid back to normal.
As excited as I have been about the opportunity to work at camp, I've wanted to loose 15-20 pounds, be fit and toned, and have energy to run around with the campers. I wanted to be as healthy as I could in order to serve the Lord this summer.  But the Lord must have other plans, because I can't shed the extra fluff, nor can I get a good and peaceful night's sleep (due to adrenal fatigue which is caused by stress).
Over the last few days I've come to the place where I'm tired of trying to get healthy, I just want to live life and be used of God.  I will continue to take my T-3 supplements, watch the amount of sugar I eat, and work out and be thankful that the Lord can use me the way I am. However, I am ready to back away from what I want (and have prayed for).  The Lord has opened my eyes and heart to realize that I don't have to be completely healthy to be used of Him.  "But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9 NIV 
I may never loose a dress size or two, sleep like a log, or be able to handle stress without my body going into fight or flight, but I will marvel in the fact that I have a Savior who loves me enough to help me through the ups and downs of camp life (and ordinary days) by making his power perfect in my weakness.  After all, He's the One who made me this way, so He has to have a plan for me and I praise Him for that!
Point Park on Look Out Mountain

3 comments:

  1. Tiffany, I didn't know you were dealing with such health problems. Know that God will give you strength to serve where He calls regardless. In fact, the struggles you have may just open doors that would otherwise remain closed. I know this from personal experience.

    We should chat sometime. You are wise to focus on living for God and not wishing to get well, but it can still be useful to share "health stories" at times. I would be very interested in what you have tried or considered since I think we have dealt with some similar stuff here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, sistah! aaaaamen! - Isn't He wonderful?

    ReplyDelete
  3. God's power is working in you despite you not feeling like it! :)

    ReplyDelete